Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Questions Kids Ask That Make You Choke

This is rated PG-13.  Well, at least to me it is.  


While running a million errands last night with my family, I was relaxing and enjoying my David Sunflower seeds sitting in the front seat.  Charles was inside the building paying some bills while we sat in the van.  I of course have 6 kids sitting in the back.  Chaz, my 10 year old, asks very loudly just as it got quiet in the van,

"Mom, what's sex?!"

Ack!  (Cough, uh)  I started choking on my seeds.  Ryan (9) tries to offer his idea.  Wasn't correct.  I have all these little kids in the back seat.  I am NOT answering this question here and now.  AND NOT when I'm caught off guard. That's so unfair.

I start sweating.  What to say? What to say?  So I calmly just say (for now) "It's when married people are affectionate with each other.  Something you only do in marriage."  

"Oh".

"Chaz, where did you learn that word?"  (Thinking of an influence at school).

"Mom, I read it in the bible."

It was my turn to say, "Oh".

There is only one problem with that answer.  Even though it was legit for now.  What if we are walking by a couple making out and Chaz says loudly, "Oh, look.  Those people are having sex!"  I would have to crawl under a rock.

More questions started to come.
"Mom, what happens if you are married but you kiss someone else?"
"Well, that's called Adultery."
"Can I have a girlfriend?".
"No, Chaz you have to be 18 and court."
"Well, I really like this girl at school.  So she can't be my girlfriend?"
"No, you are 10.  By the way, is she a Christian?"
"No, those are too hard to find.  There a million non Christian girls and only a few Christian ones."
"Well, Chaz, I'd rather you pick from 10 honest to goodness Christian girls if you had to than from a million of unsaved ones."
"Wow, that's gonna be hard."
"Yeah, well it's worth it.  Trust me, when the time comes you'll have more than 10 to choose from."

Starting to get worried because this sounds a LOT (no pun intended) like Lot (in the bible) asking God if he would save the Sodom and Gomorrah if there were at least 10 that served God.  Well, God couldn't even find 10.

Let's hope 8 years from now or more that there are at least 10 Christian women to choose from.  Ha.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL! You should probably take Chaz aside and privately explain to him what sex really is. When I was little and started asking questions about sex, my parents told me about the mechanics involved ("penis goes into vagina and nine months later a baby comes out" was about the gist of what I got), the risks of unsafe sex, and why you should save sex for marriage. It effectively erased any mystery about sex for me as well as reinforcing the fact that my parents were honest and I could go to them if I had questions and wanted a full answer.

Besides, sex really isn't anything to be ashamed of. It's not dinner conversation material, but it is a natural and beautiful part of marriage. I feel like many Christians I know are almost ashamed of their sex lives and I can't help but feel that this might be because Christian parents have a tendency to teach sex as a Bad Thing and after ten or fifteen years of thinking "Sex is bad", that kind of mindset is hard for newly-weds to lose.

Zion said...

Oh my goodness! Oh DEAR! I would be squirming. You handled it all so well. The good news is he only needs one good christian girl to choose from if it is the right one. It's good to know God is in control!

Tereza said...

Ha ha that is hillarious! Glad you didnt actually choke to death though:)
I think it's time to tell him though!

Virginia Revoir said...

No, I had all my kids in the car with me from 10 down to 1. If I were to talk to Chaz about this, it wouldn't be in front of my little ones. We were all in the van together. I agree he can learn at this age but I won't be talking to him with the ones that aren't ready to know yet. Back before TV, this issue wasn't even discussed until marriage age. Unfortunately, because of hollywood, the age is getting younger and younger. I am not as worried about talking to him at this age because we don't have a TV so their minds aren't exposed to it yet.

Virginia Revoir said...

Messy Mom, thanks for visiting! :D AND leaving a comment. I love when I can talk with other moms. :)