Mix dry ingredients together first before adding liquids since that activates the yeast. Wait to put it the liquids when you are ready to knead.
- 4 teaspoons of instant yeast
- 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk (I buy the HUGE 37lb Morning Moo's from Costco in container)
- 6 1/4 cups 100% Whole Wheat Flour (look on ingredients and make sure it doesn't say enriched whole wheat. Needs to be 100%. King Arthur is my favorite if getting from regular grocery store)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons of salt
- 2 cups (16oz) lukewarm water
- 1/2 cup (4oz) orange juice
- 1/2 cup melted butter or vegetable oil (Use slightly less if using oil)
- 6 tablespoons molasses (4 1/2 oz) or maple syrup (4oz) Some use honey.
I knead the dough for about 5-10 minutes. Then let it sit covered till it about doubles in size.
Then I punch it back down (above), split it in two and let rise in 2 loaf pans. Let it rise to about 1 inch above pans before baking (below).
Then cook for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. Place foil on top of each loaf for the last 15 minutes of cooking.