Friday, March 25, 2011

100% Whole Wheat Bread

Really soft & fluffy 100% whole wheat bread. Makes 2 loaves.

Mix dry ingredients together first before adding liquids since that activates the yeast.  Wait to put it the liquids when you are ready to knead.






  • 4 teaspoons of instant yeast
  • 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk (I buy the HUGE 37lb Morning Moo's from Costco in container)
  • 6 1/4 cups 100% Whole Wheat Flour (look on ingredients and make sure it doesn't say enriched whole wheat.  Needs to be 100%.  King Arthur is my favorite if getting from regular grocery store)
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons of salt
  • 2 cups (16oz) lukewarm water
  • 1/2 cup (4oz) orange juice
  • 1/2 cup melted butter or vegetable oil (Use slightly less if using oil)
  • 6 tablespoons molasses (4 1/2 oz) or maple syrup (4oz) Some use honey.
 I knead the dough for about 5-10 minutes.  Then let it sit covered till it about doubles in size.

 
Then I punch it back down (above), split it in two and let rise in 2 loaf pans.  Let it rise to about 1 inch above pans before baking (below). 


Then cook for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.  Place foil on top of each loaf for the last 15 minutes of cooking.



Finished bread.

3 comments:

Zion said...

Oh I love homemade bread! I have never been very successful with it, but yours look delicious and not to complicated.

Tereza said...

Oh they are just so pretty! I like that it makes 2 loaves...I make 6 at a time but sometimes get tired of the bulk kneading. hmmmmm maybe this will work when I feel like fresh bread but dont want to knead like 15 cups of flour:):) And they are so nice and high and lovely!!!

Virginia Revoir said...

Messy mom, I used to have a terrible time actually when I used a bread maker. Who messes up using a breadmaker? I DO! haha. Finally over trying and trying, I got it and learned to "feel" the dough to know it's right. I love the feeling of it in my heads. Especially after it already rose once and then I have to punch it back down. So soft!

Momto9, I'm still making adjustments to it since it's more crumbly and falls apart easier. The buttermilk bread was perfect in that way. This one I have to play with it more over time to get it a little better.