Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe

I made this the other night and I've got so many inquiries about the recipe, I'll just write it out here.  However, I'm gonna put it for my family size (So this is 12 servings) and also double the sauce because we like a lot of sauce on our Indian food.  So here is what I made.  I also took down the spice because of my kids.  It still has a bite to it, just didn't want to kill my kids.  If you happen to visit an Indian food store and get get a hold of Garam Masala you can use instead of the cumin, ginger, and cinnamon.  Or add to it!  However, I didn't have it and it still turned out great.  My kids are devouring it.  Charles even had his best friend over to taste so it's a big hit.  We can always hit Indian restaurants all the time because they are expensive (and heavenly).


I made this size for 12 servings since we are family of 8. So you don't have to make this much!

The chicken in marination (I marinated for 5 hours rather than 1 hour)
  • 3 cups plain yogurt
  • 3 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons ground cumin
  • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • 2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
  • 2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
  • 3 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
  • 2 tablespoons of salt, or to taste
  • 9 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
  • 12 long skewers (If you are going to grill rather than bake)

  The Sauce (This section I doubled this amount because we like lots of sauce).
  • 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons butter
  • 6 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped (We took this down from 6 jalapenos)
  • 1/4 cup ground cumin
  • 1/4 cup paprika
  • 3 tablespoons salt, or to taste
  • 6 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
  • 6 cups heavy cream
  • 1-1/2 cups chopped fresh cilantro (Important!)
    1. In a large bowl, combine yogurt, lemon juice, cumin, cinnamon, cayenne, black pepper, ginger, and salt. Stir in chicken, cover, and refrigerate for 1 hour. (I had time so I marinated for several hours)
    2. Preheat a grill for high heat. (I don't grill so instead cooked in oven at 450 degrees)
    3. Lightly oil the grill grate. Thread chicken onto skewers, and discard marinade. Grill until juices run clear, about 5 minutes on each side. (This part I used one of those broiler pans to let the juice fall down while it was cooking)
    4. Melt butter in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Saute garlic and jalapeno for 1 minute. Season with cumin, paprika, and salt. Stir in tomato sauce and cream. Simmer on low heat until sauce thickens, about 20 minutes. Add grilled chicken, and simmer for 10 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter, and garnish with fresh cilantro.
    Cilantro is really a key in this recipe so don't forget!  :)


    Serve this over basmati rice.  If you want you can add naan, choli/garbanzo beans & raita (all from Trader Joes). 



    Got 5 seconds to vote?
    Rate My Blog @ Top Mommy Blogs

    2 comments:

    Zion said...

    Girl, I love you even more now! We love indian food. I will be adding this to my recipe line up for the month.

    Virginia Revoir said...

    You are not gonna believe what site I found, hopefully know I left this comment here. Go to this site:

    http://www.dedemed.com

    Like on the right sidebar. Not only does she have recipes but she shows you in a video! I just found this site yesterday.