Friday, March 25, 2011

List of Books Ordered

Sane Woman's Guide to Raising a Large Family, AA Sane Woman's Guide to Raising a Large Family:
I'm thinking maybe I should build a library?  I get so many books from publishing companies, authors, and I order some of my own.  When I do buy, I always order from Amazon.  I'm an Amazon LOVER.  I try to tell people that if, say for example, you need encouragement in raising a large family, get a book that'll do that.  I love 20 and Counting for that reason from the Duggars.  Okay, so if she can do it with ALLLLL hers, I can do it with six.  Not only that but the tips and tricks are awesome.  If you love large families but frequently watch TV shows that are anti family or read books that are from a selfish mindset, it can really alter your thinking.  If you don't think that it can, what are commercials for?  Advertise AND convince you why you need what they have.

Family Feasts for $75 a Week: A Penny-wise Mom Shares Her Recipe for Cutting Hundreds from Your Monthly Food BillFamily Feasts for $75 a Week:
My biggest struggle lately is I'm not good at saving money in the grocery department.  I STINK at it.  I just make what I want and that's it.  I've been married 12 years but only really been cooking for every single meal in the last 2 years... (I had to stop typing for a minute because I could hear gulping.  My 3 yr old was just under the table with my soda. She's sneaky!  haha)  Anyway, 2 years ago we made much more money and since we are a family of explorers, we ate out a lot.  If we had a huge RV, we'd be on the road all the time.  We love to discover to places to see and eat at.  Things have changed so I've really learned a lot about cooking because I've had to.  However, saving money on buying food isn't my thing. So this another book coming.

Once-A-Month Cooking Family Favorites: More Great Recipes That Save You Time and Money from the Inventors of the Ultimate Do-Ahead Dinnertime MethodOnce-A-Month Cooking:
One of my huge curiosities lately have been about Once a Month Cooking.  One time we watched four kids while their parents vacationed for a week.  My friend called me up and said she wanted to make enough dinner meals for a week to send with me.  She froze them and all I had to do was reheat them every night.  My gosh, even after reheating they were delicious!  Of course some things you have to serve fresh still, but the bulk of it can be cooked all at once and then frozen for later. I'm in the kitchen sometimes from 6-7 hours a day and I'd really like to cut that down.  Especially because of the clean up.


I'm all about studying, learning, looking to improve.  I'm really excited about these coming in.  I've learned to "chew the meat and spit out the bones."  Some times only certain parts of a book work for me but it's still worth it.  :)  Do you have any favorite tips and ideas?  Or books that have really made a difference for you?  I would love to know.




Just clicking votes 4 us!
Visit Top Mommy Blogs To Vote For Me

5 comments:

Newaged Hermit said...

I recently ordered the same books :) I need a bookcase aswell but they are full of wonderful tips and receipes

Avital said...

I cannot even comprehend how you spend 6-7 hours a day in the kitchen. Totally blows my mind. Your meals must be amazing.

Virginia Revoir said...

Avital, I'm counting in breakfast,lunch,dinner,snacks, prep, and clean up time. :) We're a family of 8. But, yes, I do tend to make complicated meals sometimes. LOL. That's why I need these books to help me to learn to cook cheaper.

Avital said...

We never eat out, maybe once every two months or so and I do three meals & snacks too. But I would die if spent as much time as you in the kitchen. But I'm all about the one pot meals, soup, crock pot, or set it & forget it in the oven. But, I don't make my own bread like you do! I imagine you must go through bread pretty quick with a brood the size of yours!

Karen said...

I was looking at the one about once a month cooking on Amazon...didn't order it yet though.