Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The BEST Whole Wheat Bread Ever!

I've been on a search for the best homemade bread and I FOUND it.  This bread is so unbelievably good.



This bread slices easy and came out beautiful. Extremely delicious.
The name is kind of deceiving because it's not ALL whole wheat but you can certainly make it to be.  I'm in search of a favorite recipe so I am excited to try this one and see how my family reacts to it.  :)  Even though it has two different types of flour on here, I always try to use as much 100% Whole Wheat flour I can.  Today I used about half and half because I was running out of both.  After making this one, this is the winner.  I'm never making another one.  DELICIOUS!  Even better when you brush melted butter over the top of it while it's baking.

Ingredients (Makes 3 loaves)
  • 3 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
  • 2 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 5 cups bread flour
  • 3 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted
Directions
  1. In a large bowl, mix warm water, yeast, and 1/3 cup honey. Add 5 cups white bread flour, and stir to combine. Let set for 30 minutes, or until big and bubbly.
What dough looks like after step 1

2.  Mix in 3 tablespoons melted butter, 1/3 cup honey, and salt. Stir in 2 cups whole wheat flour. Flour a flat surface and knead with whole wheat flour until not real sticky - just pulling away from the counter, but still sticky to touch. This may take an additional 2 to 4 cups of whole wheat flour. (I didn't need to add anything).  Place in a greased bowl, turning once to coat the surface of the dough. Cover with a dishtowel. Let rise in a warm place until doubled. (Kneading the bread in picture below)

Kneading bread is taking one half of the dough and pulling it up and over into the center and pushing down.

3.   Punch down, and divide into 3 loaves. Place in greased 9 x 5 inch loaf pans, and allow to rise until dough has topped the pans by one inch. (Picture below is before I let it rise in loaf pans)

Just before letting it rise a second time in loaf pans.

4.   Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 25 to 30 minutes; do not overbake. Lightly brush the tops of loaves with 2 tablespoons melted butter or margarine when done to prevent crust from getting hard. Cool completely

Just out of oven with melted butter brushed over it.
     *** NEW BREAD MAKERS:*** Take 5-8 minutes to knead your bread. It's properly kneaded when it's smooth as a baby's butt.You will know when your bread is done when you insert a thermometer and it reaches 190-200F. If you don't have a thermometer, knock on the bread. If it makes thud noise, it's not done. It should sound hollow. As soon as the bread is done, remove from pan immediately and let it cool on a wire rack. If you leave it in the pan, the steam will make the bread soggy and it'll mold on the bottom.

    3 comments:

    Tereza said...

    The part where you said melted butter...oh my gosh you are making me dangerously HUNGRY!!

    Virginia Revoir said...

    OHH, this recipe is sooo good! I was looking for my favorite one and this is the winner. I made two loaves and it was gone within a couple of hours.

    Virginia Revoir said...

    P.S. My husband ran out and got me another loaf pan so I can make 3 at a time. I can see why you make 6 at a time!