Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Buttermilk Wheat Bread

I am trying different bread recipes and would like to keep track of them.  So I'll write them here.  :)   If you have a favorite, please let me know or give me a link and I'll check it out!  This makes 2 loaves.  The reason I used this recipe this particular time is because I was out of honey and and orange juice that I use in a different recipe whole wheat recipe.  Also, this recipe will work for me if I ever need to mix wheat and white flour together. Personally, I never eat white because...



"The whiter the bread the quicker you're dead"

Since I didn't have as much REAL wheat flour at this time I was able to mix together wheat and white with this recipe.

-3 cups buttermilk
  • -3 tablespoons butter, melted
  • -1/4 cup white sugar
  • -1-1/2 teaspoons salt
  • -3 1/3 cup all-purpose flour 
  • -3 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
  • -1 1/2 tablespoons active dry yeast (This recipe I used 2 tablespoons per suggestions)
  • -1-2 handfuls of shredded cheese (In this recipe I used 1 but next time going to use 2)

Mix dry ingredients together before mixing in wet ingredients in large bowl.  Knead the dough for about 5-10 minutes.  In the original bowl I mixed it in, I let this rise by putting it in a slightly warm oven (covered with towel or Saran Wrap) until doubled.


I punched it back down, rolled up, and pinched down the ends.  
Then put it in these 9x5 loaf pans and let it rise a 2nd time covered. Being 
covered helps it to rise faster. 


It should rise about an inch above the pans.  Remove towel
and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.  I didn't need to cover with 
foil.


Came out beautiful and soft. :D
What's really great is not only is it really soft but slices 
clean without crumbling.  


Rate My Blog @ Top Mommy Blogs

1 comment:

Tereza said...

Looks great ....I may try this!