Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Do Genes Play a Factor in Obesity?

Genes Take Charge, and Diets Fall by the Wayside -Article written on May 8, 2007



You know, I've thought about this many times. Why is it that someone next to me is overweight, eats the same amount I do but can't get any weight off?  I've had friends who exercise as much as me or more, eat as much as me or less yet have serious weight issues. This is why I get angry when I see an overweight person get taunted.  I really believe some of it is genetics and some people have to work harder than others to lose weight and keep it off.

Just because you see an overweight person doesn't mean they're a pig and eat everything in site. Or that they lay on their couch all day.  I'm sure some of that is a case that can be made.  But I've always believed since I was a kid that some were born naturally skinny and some battled weight all through childhood and beyond.

My dad can eat like there is no tomorrow and he'll stay the skinny guy he is.  In fact, most all the guys in that side of the family AND the girls are skinny.  Even after kids.  Does that mean that they are all health conscious?  Heck no.



For the most part I don't do anything to lose weight, I just like to stay healthy for the sake of being healthy but fall off the wagon many times.  BUT, it's always broke my heart to see overweight kids or adults taunted.  I really liked this article.

Of course some really do pig out and some are couch potatoes.  Kids sit and play video games and get fat.  But so do my kids and they are skinny rails.  This article proved what I've always thought.

A fat person does not always equal lazy or big eater.  Genes can be a factor also.  

6 comments:

Zion said...

SO true. In my family we have some that really struggle with weight and some that don't.

Karen said...

Definitely! Same with teeth! That being said, bad habits will eventually catch up. My grandparents were quite thin in their younger years, but from 40 to now (over 80) they have steadily gained weight. Once they retired it got worse. They overeat and sit around a lot, fry everything in butter, and finish off the leftovers instead of saving them for another night. Interestingly, they do not see themselves as "fat" and will point out other people as overweight who are thinner then they themselves.

Because of that, even though I am "naturally" on the underweight side (although I can certainly see evidence of my babies), I am trying to develop better habits so I am healthier in my older age....I'm not doing so well right now with my hectic household....

Tereza said...

I totally agree and it hurts to see and hear people talk of fat people as unattractive and less worthy!! Such an unfair society we live in!

BekLovesJeremy said...

so true! it's SO hard for me to lose weight. having 4 babies in 4 years has caused me to pile on some pounds. working so hard to lose it and it's just not going anywhere...

Serena Abdelaziz said...

Loved reading about you....
I am 30, been pregnant 9 times...expecting to hold my 6th blessing in July.

farnsworthfive said...

Thanks Jen. I hate being over weight and having that "person" (you know who) come up to me and tell me that I need to stop eating so much all the time. I eat about 2000 calories in 4 days. My 8 year old daughter out eats me. But beacuse I am over weight people automaticlly assume that I over eat. Well we all know assuming does to us. You are a GREAT friend!