Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Do Genes Play a Factor in Obesity?

Genes Take Charge, and Diets Fall by the Wayside -Article written on May 8, 2007

You know, I've thought about this many times. Why is it that someone next to me is overweight, eats the same amount I do but can't get any weight off?  I've had friends who exercise as much as me or more, eat as much as me or less yet have serious weight issues. This is why I get angry when I see an overweight person get taunted.  I really believe some of it is genetics and some people have to work harder than others to lose weight and keep it off.

Just because you see an overweight person doesn't mean they're a pig and eat everything in site. Or that they lay on their couch all day.  I'm sure some of that is a case that can be made.  But I've always believed since I was a kid that some were born naturally skinny and some battled weight all through childhood and beyond.

My dad can eat like there is no tomorrow and he'll stay the skinny guy he is.  In fact, most all the guys in that side of the family AND the girls are skinny.  Even after kids.  Does that mean that they are all health conscious?  Heck no.

For the most part I don't do anything to lose weight, I just like to stay healthy for the sake of being healthy but fall off the wagon many times.  BUT, it's always broke my heart to see overweight kids or adults taunted.  I really liked this article.

Of course some really do pig out and some are couch potatoes.  Kids sit and play video games and get fat.  But so do my kids and they are skinny rails.  This article proved what I've always thought.

A fat person does not always equal lazy or big eater.  Genes can be a factor also.  
Post a Comment