Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Meet New Chickies

Note: New Info about Team Olga under this post.

 

Yesterday Kyle and I went to pick up our order of chicks.  There is a Rhode Island Red rooster and 3 Buff Orphington hens and 1 rooster.  So excited! I'm slowly building them up again but this time I would like to have some breeding.  :)  We'll see if we ended up with any sitting hens.  You never know.  Of course I will keep the two different types seperate.  I will have to section the side of the house into 2 so breeds don't mix.


Right now the chicks are in the boy's room next to the mice cage. The kids are loving it and don't mind the warming light in their room.  It's kinda bright but they insisted it's not bothering them when they sleep.  The only thing is the cage can get stinky! But... we need them inside for at least another week before allowing them outside.

2 comments:

Chris H said...

LOL Chicken AND mice in the boys room...I'm not surprised that it gets stinky!

Anonymous said...

I read somewhere about an old lady who had a number of chickens, lets say they were Rhode Island red, and two roosters one the same as the hens and the other a differnt breed, which all lived together.
The old lady offered a friend a sitting of eggs which she said would be pure Rhode Island Red. The friend queried this, but the old lady said its alright, I always take the other rooster out of the pen at night!!