Friday, April 01, 2011

My Mouse Has Pups (Baby Mice)

I've been checking on my son's mice about every hour the last few days in hopes I can see her have her "pups".  I like calling them baby mice though.  :)  I heard a tiny squeak when I was passing by the cage so I went to check.  All I can say is thank goodness I took them in from the patio so the male mice didn't get to them.  Could have been disastrous.

It may look like I was right in her cage bothering her with the camera but I was only zooming in.  We won't be disturbing the cage at all for at least 2-3 weeks.  Only for food and water refills.  I don't want her to abandon her pups. So right now cage is up high. Now that we got the video of right after she had babies, they'll be left alone.  :)


If you watch the video till the end, you'll see Chaz's mouse (which is not the mom) get up so you can see all of the baby mice.  Chaz's mouse is helping care for them also.  Thank goodness.  I had to watch for a while to make sure she'd do good with them.  Other female mice usually help the mother but we just wanted to be sure.

The part I'm not sure what to do is taking care of the one stillborn.  It's risky to get near the babies but it's also important to remove the stillborn.  Update: Was able to get stillborn one out with a spoon. I was careful not to touch the others.  Here is picture of one that didn't make it.  Kids and I are going out back to bury it.



6 comments:

Zion said...

Well that is exciting. Sad that she lost one :( you are quite the trooper!

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

Ohhhh poor little mouse pup. Glad the others are doing ok and it sounds like you read up a lot about how to help raise 'em. WHAT was going on in the video noisewise, tho? Slurping milkshakes? :)

Tereza said...

Eeew I hope you dont reuse that spoon!!!!!!!:):):)
That little naked mouse is actually kind of cute:):)

Virginia Revoir said...

Actually, I spoon fed Caleb with that same spoon just right after. Heh heh.

April Fools! Ha!

I have no idea what was going on in the background. LOL. It's always loud around here.

Virginia Revoir said...

Oh! I know what that noise was. Ashley was right next to me gurgling water. LOL

Zsuzsanna said...

God's creation is so amazing. That little mouse pup, so tiny and insignificant, was still created perfectly.