Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Expect Chaos

I'm continuing my studies with A Sane Woman's Guide to Raising a Large Family.  I can't tell you how much it has fed me and really spoke to me.  I am writing on here because I know that when you study and talk about it, it sticks longer in your mind.

Last night baked in the kitchen for 4 hours straight and by 7:30pm I was completely spent. I didn't even have the strength to clean up my kitchen afterward. My thoughtful husband laid me down in bed, gave me my book and went to take care of the kids.  By 8pm he was already praying and reading the bible with them in bed.  Although my body was tired, my mind wasn't.  So I began to read the book.  Even better, I started a bath so I could just completely relax and hopefully get some encouragement and ideas.  I have to share a chapter with you that really helped me.

************************

It's obvious what they got caught with in their crib
Expect Chaos
    Obviously, mothering in general involves a certain amount of chaos.  Whether you have one child or ten, there will be times when the nine-month-old flings oatmeal on the carpet or the three-year-old throws up in the night-three times- and the seven-year-old loses his shoes-again.  But in a large family, the frequency with which this stuff happens can be overwhelming.  
    My advice?  Expect chaos.  The more fully you embrace the chaos factor, the happier you'll be as a mom.  If you expect laundry to breed in an immoral fashion in every corner of the every bedroom every day, you won't need to fall to your knees screaming at the discovery that you are once again six loads behind.  Simply set the timer to run a load every hour all day and end the day with a laundry-folding party for everyone planning to wear clothing the next day.
    Chaos happens. The key is to find ways to deal with it, and usually that involves making your kids take their fair share of the responsibility for the cleanup.  After all, they made the mess.


********************


Ashley started laughing because we were laughing so hard
This section of a chapter alone completely rejuvenated me.  It was 10pm by the time I got out of the bath and I had my energy back.  What did I do with it?  I went and completely cleaned my kitchen and washed the dishes.  I even mopped my floor.  My kitchen was spotless and I was a happy camper.

Chaos just happens.  My kids aren't robots.  They are gonna have emotional, klutzy, fighting, angry, tired days.  Not every day.  Just different kids on different days have their breakdowns.  Forget the stinking dishes and sit with them on the couch.  Read a book, talk about their day.  Whatever is needed. I'm so tired of worrying what the house looks like when my kids are desperately needing mommy.  Don't get me wrong, I always try to give an ear when my kids need to talk to me and even tend to keep my calm when something bad happens.  But I feel it on the inside more.  I've learned to master my outer emotions.  My grandmother told me that if I have to cry, go in my room for a few minutes and let it out.  Even if I'm super angry.  It's better to let it out in a pillow than freak out on the kid.  There are times when I'm literally melting on the inside with stress but keeping a smile on my face.  No, I'm not being fake.  I just want my kids to know I'm in control and they aren't going to manipulate me.  Kids love to get reactions.  Especially crazy freak out reactions that make mommy's face red and smoke come from her ears.  LOL.  I just don't want to push away my kids so I can load the dishwasher.  My kids are only home from school from 4pm till bedtime at 8:30pm.  Seriously, I'm sure I don't need to be doing any housework between those times.  Making dinner just by itself takes time.

By the time I was done cleaning the kitchen I discovered that Ivy was still awake in her room.  I invited her out to share some homemade cupcakes and drinks.  We played for 3 hours.  :)  It was wonderful not worrying about the millions of other things that still needed to be done.


I was pregnant with my 6th and we had 4 extra kids for a week
A funny memory I have is when I was pregnant with my 6th and we watched my friends kids for a week while they went away together.  I learned to cook and clean after 9 kids. It was hard work!  It's always hard when you go from 2 to 7 kids or 3 to 6 kids.  So when you babysit and are stressed by it, don't freak out.  Most of us usually only have 1 kid at a time to get adjusted to while growing our families.  LOL.  MOST of us at least unless you are Jon and Kate Gosselin.  Tee hee....


Can vote once a day!

11 comments:

Tereza said...

What a lovely post!! I've been thinking on the same things...like I dont wanna miss out on my kids for the sake of crossing stuff off my list!! Right now I have not a pile but a gigantic mountain of clothes in my room (seriously I should take a picture!!) and maybe we'll have a folding party....then party it up by making donuts!!! Wouldnt that be much more fun than me stressing out! Thanks for the reminder...LOVE you! I dont say this lightly or often to blog buddies...so thereforeI mean it! I think you and I are on the same page...too bad you're notnext door...just IMAGINE the donut party we could have!!!!!!!!! 15 kids between the two of us!!!

Tereza said...

I gotta get that book!

Virginia Revoir said...

It would be fun! Haha. Yeah, this book is fabulous. I can't tell you the load it's taken off my shoulders to read this book. I feel like a big weight is gone and I can truly enjoy my family. Momto9, I love your honesty too in your blogs because it makes me feel like I'm not crazy for having my struggles. Because of you I'm actually baking more which is something I love. I need to learn how to make donuts!

Avital said...

After my first son was born, I was paralyzed by post-partum depression and completely overwhelmed by a high-needs infant who would scream for hours if I put him down, and never slept for longer than 40 minutes. My husband could not understand how the house could be such a mess when I was home all day. Our life was chaos. I remember sitting down with our pastor at that time, who had four children (now they have 8!) who said "there is always chaos when you have children, the trick is to find the peace of God in your heart, then the chaos doesn't overwhelm you." On bad days now, I remember that...find internal peace when chaos is overwhelming on the outside.

Virginia Revoir said...

Wow, thanks for sharing that! That was such good encouragement from your pastor. I have to remember that. :)

Zsuzsanna said...

I just left you a long comment about how much I enjoyed this post. Then Blogger had a glitch and lost it. Now I'm MAD!!

Not really, but I don't have time to type it all again :(

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

Your family is LOVELY chaos. It really is! :)

Karen said...

I totally agree! Now I just need to convince my husband that chaos is normal for this stage of life. :-)

Caryn said...

Yep. I need a copy of that book, STAT. There are 7 lil monsters running around here. You'd be AMAZED what one bottle of Nestle's chocolate syrup can do.

Kerrie McLoughlin said...

i just bought this book based on the title and your pictures alone!!!!!

Owlhaven said...

Thanks for sharing what you found helpful about my book!

All the best,
Mary, mom to many