Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Making Laundry Piles Less Scary

The bigger the family the more the laundry piles grow.  I mean, I know I've always wanted to hike some really well known mountains but when it comes to climbing laundry piles, I'd rather not.  We were only using one of these bins for our four boys.  But since I only wash all boys clothes every Friday, it would easily overflow EVERYWHERE.  Also, I don't always need to wash everything. Because the boys have so many shirts, I can just skip washing shirts till the next week and wash other stuff that's needed.  However, I would have to empty the huge bin in search for what I wanted to wash.  How annoying.  Instead, I separated everything.  


I KNOW it might seem weird to some people that I use (clean) garbage bins for hampers.  But has anyone else ran into actual hampers these size?  I haven't.  Now, if Friday comes and they have plenty of pants and shorts but still need shirts or other things washed, I can go straight to those bins.  There is enough room to not have it all overflowing anymore.  Oh, thank goodness!  We will be doing this in the girls room and in mine and Charles' closet.   Except for my closet, we'll use the 3 smaller hampers ran than these huge bins.

 Here is how I labeled them and since all the boys can read, well, this will be a cinch for them.  They are good at separating things.  Now if only I can get them to pick up after themselves all the time....ahhh...

Welp, they'll finally get it when they are gone and married at least. Hopefully.  I train them on it every-single-day.

They don't use up enough of these items to require separate bins so this works.  
Well, since I won't be hiking mountains in their room anymore, I guess I'd better go buy a treadmill or something.

6 comments:

Tereza said...

so your secret to clean clothes is more not less? hmmmm...never tried that one before:) In a way it makes sense...but its too scary to try!the mountains are too high even with less clothes at my house:):)

Mom said...

Great idea. But what do you do about separting colours?

Virginia Revoir said...

I used to separate by colors but it got frustrating because they would say, "Mom, I need shorts" and I would have to dig through. Instead, now I just grab a pile. They have enough laundry though that I can easily make 2-3 separate loads for reds, blacks, whites. :D If there are no read then just darks vs. whites.

Momto9, I know it's crazy. But actually they do have a lot of clothes. When they are given to me I don't get rid of them for one huge reason. They go through their clothes sooo fast because they are boys. So it's no big deal when I have to throw out stuff that gets worn out. I tried going down to a smaller closet of clothes but just really regretted it.

Keri Jo said...

Okay, so I've never commented before but love your blog. (I'm in the prescott church) we have 6 kids too and 1 more on the way.
This is an awesome idea for laundry! I know another friend with 6 kids that uses the large garbage cans instead of the smaller kitchen can but I never thought to do it for laundry.

And I so enjoy your recipes... keep them coming...

Keri

Virginia Revoir said...

Wow Keri Jo, thank you for commenting! I'm excited for your big family. :D How did you hear about my blog? So you must know my friend Michele then that goes up to visit her mom every now and then.

I use the large garbage bin in the kitchen also. Otherwise we'd be taking out the garbage every half hour. LOL. :D

Anonymous said...

I think it is great you found a solution! I only separate whites, towels/jeans and nice clothes. Sometimes I throw colored towels in with cotton colored clothes to make a full load. Sometimes I even thrown the jeans in with cotton coloreds...