Thursday, July 28, 2011

Surprising Thoughts From a Stressful Moment

Man, even in the toughest of days with my kids, it's good to find a positive. At least try to.

I mean those really bad days where kids are leaving their stuff everywhere and not taking initiative to pick up after themselves, kids are arguing, or a baby takes off their diaper and lets poop roll out without us knowing.  Things like that.

The other day it was just one of THOSE days.  My heart was pumping and my chest hurt some from the stress.  The first thought that came to my head was:

"I am so glad I had children or I'd probably be the most selfish person on the planet.  This is SO GOOD FOR ME."

I stopped for a minute and wondered how that thought came from such a stressful moment.  HOW?  You would think I would've thought, "Man, you were crazy to have all these kids".

Every time we feel irritated, impatient, and our tempers are boiling... I think it's because our flesh is having a battle with our spirit.  Our flesh wants to gratify itself more than anything else.  

What's the cure?  Caring for others. In this case, my children.  I can't run away or turn them over to their parents. I am their parent.  Having kids is the best thing that's ever happened to me.  It makes me die to my flesh daily.

***Character qualities I can apply***


Joyfulness vs. Self-pity
The spontaneous enthusiasm of my spirit when my soul is in fellowship with the Lord
Psalm 16:11

Love vs. Selfishness
Giving to others basic needs without having as my motive personal reward -1 Corinthians 13:3

Loyalty vs. Unfaithfulness
Using difficult times to demonstrate my commitment to God and to those whom He has called me to serve. -John 15:13

2 comments:

Kerrie McLoughlin said...

somehow you always write about my life! the other day i was admitting to myself that maybe i got myself in to deep with all my kids and homeschooling. then i thought NO! with great risk (jumping off the cliff with faith in God) comes great REWARD and it ain't always gonna be easy! and it does make us better people!

Karen said...

How true for me too!