Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Dollar Store Treasures and 5 Dollar Dinners


 I learned a lesson this past Christmas.  I can buy the most expensive toys that they said they could NEVER live without. You know what they resort to playing with?  These swords from the DOLLAR store.  Yup. A buck.  When they break, I go buy another one.  Do you know Chaz got me an awesome belt from the dollar store for Christmas? It originally came from Target but I guess they were getting rid of them and sold them off to the dollar store. I benefited by only paying a buck.  Or...Chaz rather.  Wow!  That is just neat.  I really need to go check those places out more often.  I break so many tights on church days because of my baby or my ring snagging them that I resorted to buying some great name brand ones from the dollar store also.  Who wants to pay $7 every week for a new pair?  I don't. 




  • The girls however are totally loving their barbies but they'd still rather go outside and play on the swingset any day.  Ivy is so exhausted from school everyday though that she just comes home and crashes on the couch.  Why, oh, why do they have to make school sooo long?  They come home with homework anyway.  I don't get it.  My kids get up at 6:50am and then finish all their schooling and homework by 5pm.  I just think that is overkill. 


Soooo, I decided to try something that 5 Dollar Dinners was featuring where you can save money on your dinners! I gave it a try and so far I'm loving the simplicity of it.  So basically I put 2 chickens in two seperate crockpots and cooked overnight.  By the next morning I had chicken to make homemade chicken noodle soup for lunch which is a family favorite. The next day I used the chicken to make chicken pot pies.  Then today I made burritos from it and I still have chicken left!  These meal ideas are very cheap and I was impressed.  Making meals was very simple and fast. After all, cooking the meat is usually what takes the longest. Why not just cook it all together and then seperate for meals during the week?  Or maybe freeze them in seperate bags?  Anyway, the recipes are HERE!   I LOVE being frugalicious!



Would you like to see 10 Things Your Grocer Doesn't Want You to Know?  Yeah, some of the things creeped me out a little bit.  Like the germs on the cart and how old some of the food really is.  Bleh. A recent study showed that shopping carts harbor more saliva, bacteria and even fecal matter than public telephones and public toilets.



 
BYW, head on over to Lazy Moms to hear some Lazy Mom Confessions

No comments: