Tuesday, May 02, 2006

"Definition of Evangelism"

"He said to them, Go into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature". Mark 16:15

"My main business is the saving of souls. This one thing I do."
-Charles Spurgeon


Just to make sure no one thinks I'm a harsh girl. ;) I just want to clarify something. I am not against church programs or softball teams and all. Although Starbucks in a foyer is going too far! I mean that when our focus is on these things and we ignore what evangelism truly is. The truth is, if someone didn't follow God's commandment of evangelism, I would not be married to Charles. My brother-in-law (who is now pastoring in South Africa) was going on one of his many outreaches, outside the church of course, and was telling people about Jesus. He knocked on Charles' door and Charles came to church to hear more. He accepted Jesus into his heart. Now, if we think programs is what's going to draw people into church, that would've never attracted Charles. In fact, he didn't care about programs! If Dan had not gone door to door and shared the gospel, Charles would've never came into church to hear and then accept Jesus Christ into his heart. Charles is so thankful that someone had the guts to go outside of the 4 walls of the church to share Jesus to someone that would've never come otherwise. That's the definition of Evangelism. As Christians, we are to be Jesus' disciples. Jesus' commandment was "Go into ALL THE WORLD and preach the gospel to every creature". He wasn't talking about programs. He was talking about going outside the 4 walls and sharing the gospel of Jesus Christ. The more money we spend on programs, the less money spent on world evangelism. Let's not forget what evangelism truly is. I am so grateful that someone had the guts to witness to my dad and show him the destruction of sin, so that my dad was delivered from drugs and drinking. If it weren't for those people, he nor I, would be here today.

No comments: