Wednesday, December 14, 2011

When Kids are Sick and Optimism is a Necessity

Ivy
Just when we thought we were free and clear from the whole lice nightmare, 3 of my kids came down with bronchitis and had to go on antibiotics. The others ones sick but it didn't get too serious

We were so happy to be back in church and that lasted just one service.  We were back at home again.  The thing about it is the kids are supposed to be practicing for the church Christmas play and they haven't been able to.  So, tonight they'll finally get to practice at church.  Caleb will have to stay on my lap in church though because he's not cleared to go into nursery yet.  Then again, it's extremely hard to hold a baby in church because babies are always in the nursery until 3 years old.  The kids that are sitting in church are well trained to be quiet and stay sitting in their seat.  Often when I bring Caleb I have to get up and just stand in another room so we're not a distraction.  Then I figure since I can't hear anything we should just stay home.  I don't know.  


Ashley and I waiting in Urgent care
The thing about the kids is that they usually come down with sickness one at a time. I first took Ivy to the ER and then Caleb and Ashley another time.  So after I came back from my second trip, literally within a half hour Ashley was crying when she'd go potty.  If only I had known that when we just were at the ER.  So, we had to wait till the next day to go to an urgent care and get her some medicine.  The kids were burning up in fevers, Ivy hacking like crazy, and Ashley screaming about pain.  I feel bad as a mom seeing them that miserable.  They are finally getting better though.  You know what's crazy is ever since I pulled my kids from public school (6 months ago) my kids have been pretty darn healthy. They used to catch what all the other kids had and for the longest time I couldn't figure out why my kids were always coming down with something.  So, to be dealing with this now is no big deal in comparison.  In fact, when my kids were in school they were sick so much that I had to pull out of platform music ministry at church.  I had never connected the dots till seeing how healthy they've been since then.

You know, through all that and having to sit in waiting rooms for each kid, I realized that we had such good times talking and cuddling.  Just being alone with each one.  Often we take kids separately on errands and appointments.  It usually follows with a treat.  Oprah (this is the only time I'll ever quote her) said that moms often feel they don't spend enough alone time with each one.  We forget though that every time we change a diaper, often we're talking and playing with them.  Giving them kisses.  Whether it's to show them how to tie their shoes, potty on the toilet, reading them a book, going on an errand, those all count.  It's so true.


I found this video about how a mother's touch saved her baby's life.  It's so amazing I wanted to share it with you.


5 comments:

Unknown said...

Growing up in a family with 5 siblings we always dreaded when the flu came visiting. It was AWFUL. I totally understand what my mom went through now that I am a mom too.

The one benefit to sick children is that they want to cuddle more. I LOVE that and in spite of illness, it is a wonderful time to make them feel extra loved and cuddled.

Hope your little ones feel better soon!!!! :)

Motherhen said...

Your description of life with sick kids sounds very familiar. I hope they feel better soon. I can totally understand that if you are going to be leaving the pew to take care of a sick toddler, you may as well be at home! When they are sick, I often leave them home with DH, but if he is away on business, I stay home myself. When Griffin was younger (6 months - 2 years) I didn't bring him to church very often, it is a really difficult focus on the mass, guide the other 5 children during the mass while taking care of the needs of a young toddler. For the last year, he has been old enough to appreciate what is happening, and actually enjoys mass. We don't have a nursery at our Roman Catholic church, so Griffin has to bring something quiet, clean and entertaining. I don't like to bring food, but when I'm desperate, I grab some boxes of raisins for him. They are ideal. And he also likes to look at the pictures in the missal. The only disrupting he does now is when he points at an image of Jesus or Mary on the walls or alter and shouts out, "Look everybody, it's Jesus!" That gets a few smiles and I am sure that nobody minds.

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

Hope you are able to take care of yourself in the middle of all this craziness! When DO you sleep? :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing that video. I've seen couples in our church take turns in the nursery. One parent stays with the young child then halfway during the service the other parent stays with the child. My daughter and I have done that with my 22-month-old granddaughter. -Taryn

Virginia Revoir said...

Well, the nursery has volunteer workers (I volunteer twice a month). that watch healthy kids only up to age 3. So if your child is sick you have to stay home or hold them in service. Caleb is just too loud though to keep in church so often I just stay home with him while everyone else goes.