Tuesday, September 22, 2009

I Just Love Those Comebacks




We went to to the mall a little bit ago to get some exercise and we saw this outside. A super sweet cop car and a firetruck. The firemen were cool to talk to and we even discussed the movie "Fireproof!" That is a great movie. If you haven't seen it, you're missing out. The cops and firemen were having fun with the kids and were giving them stuff to play with. I love the "pursuit juice" in the back of the trunk. So cute. We always run into our friends LaVona and Adan when we are there! It's so funny. They were outside with us too. Either that or we'll run into them at Costco or the bookstore. I guess we like the same places. :) The only thing that is just so incredibly annoying at the mall is all the comments when we walk by people. Ohhhh, so annoying. They'll either count our kids, or say "whoa! Look at all those kids!" The thing is, my kids behave and are quiet walking right next to us in the mall or at the store so it's not like they are drawing attention to themselves. I guess I would be normal if I had 2 kids and a dog.
I HAVE to tell you what happened at McDonalds yesterday! Ha ha! My husband was sitting in the play area with the kids. A man, with only one kid, says to Charles with a scowl on his face, "Wow, you have a really big family." My husband replied (showing emphasis with his hand), "You have one kid? Wow, you have a reeeeeal little family!" I wasn't there but when he told me in the car what happened I was just laughing and laughing. You'll understand this if you have a big family. You hear the comments left and right wherever you go and it's just so funny when you come up with a comeback. Politely said though, but funny!











6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Try not to take offense when people say you have big family. There's nothing wrong with having a big family and when people say that you have a lot of kids, it's not to be rude. It's probably because they are shocked that you can handle so many kids so well. I have four kids and I can't imagine having any more just because they are a handful.

Anonymous said...

One time I was at a Golden Corral with my friend Susan. The manager was busy working and he was really short (like maybe 5'0 tall). He saw me and said "wow, you are the tallest woman I have ever seen." Now, I am used to that and just laughed. But Susan said, "yea, well you are the shortest man I have ever seen." I think she may have said another choice word or two, but it was really funny. Like Diane said, I don't think he meant it to be rude, but sometimes it does take you back. We get comments about our kids all the time like--"are you babysitting" or "why are your kids so dark?" The best one is "are they yours?" I just say "yes" and off no further explanation.

Virginia Revoir said...

Don't worry guys. After Charles made that comment, the guy and him chatted for a bit. It was not done mean back to him. :) At first he was really rude to us but he lightened up after Charles was joking with him.

Any comments we do get is mostly really mean ones but the "comebacks" we come up with are never rude ones back. We also know that we are being examples of Christians in front of our kids so that keeps us on our toes. :)

Chris H said...

Yes, I have had many many comments over the years about the size of my family!
I usually just say..."Yes, I'm terrible FERTILE... I kept trying NOT to get pregnant, but it didn't work!"
Then I drop in the fact that I got the last two WITHOUT even getting pregnant... that shuts most people up.
I think large families are lovely.... as long as you can afford to care for them properly.

16 blessings'mom said...

I always think of the best comebacks ten minutes later, which is a darned good thing! I like when people say, "Well God bless you..." in a voice that screams with pity....to that I answer, "Oh, He has!"....

Amber said...

Way to go Charles!