Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Chaz's Update


I was excited about Chaz's new school that has a high ranking. His principal was even my principal when I was younger. He's such a good man. Well, since Chaz has Asperger's syndrome, ADHD, and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, he is in a special needs class. Well, I've had Chaz off of meds over the summer because I wanted to just start with a clean plate. I wanted to see if he didn't have to have meds and that the school could help him without it. After watching him for some time, it is becoming quite clear that he does need help with something. For the ADHD I give Chaz coffee because his doctor told me that it has the same stimulant that Ritillin has in it. So, I give him a cup of coffee in the morning. That does help. As for the Aspergers, that cannot be cured but there is medicines that help treat the symptoms. Chaz is in a great class with only 15 students and several assistants. He is still struggling greatly and can't slow down enough to even do his work. I was a little disappointed when they told me Chaz would be in 1st grade. I told them I wanted him to repeat Kindergarten. He went through his whole Kindergarten year learning nothing last year because we did not know of his diagnoses. They told me that in special needs classes, they go by age group and that since he is on the IEP plan, they would teach him at the level he needs. But the other day he brought work home and I was surprised to see that it was 1st grade level. I was worried because Chaz hasn't even learned the basics. Such as the sounds of the alphabet. I'm baffled at that and so I will be calling a meeting with the school. In cases like this, you don't just have a teacher working with you, you have about 5 or 6. This includes the Psychologist, social worker, teacher, special education leader, etc. It's a team effort. I always hope to find an actual Aspergers Support Group in my area but it's hard to find. I found one in Utah but that's out of state for me. Anyhow, so that is Chaz's update on how he is doing. He's my little pumpkin and I hope to help him do better. I feel a lot of pressure on my shoulders because the longer I wait, the more behind he falls. Don't get me wrong, I'm not behind, it's just getting him exactly what he needs is something I constantly have to pursue and the younger the better. :)

No comments: