Thursday, March 29, 2012

Taking Young Kids to Dissect Frogs for Homeschool

360283_ABCMouse.com-Free Learning Activities-First Month Free-Click Here!

I signed my kids up for a frog dissection class at the science center and it was interesting!  Normally, I'm not such a wimp.  Ohhhhh, I was yesterday. Okay, well back in Junior high I had no problems dissecting my own frog.  Did I have a problem watching it yesterday?  Lets just say I started to see black spots in front of my eyes and I had to leave and have my husband take over.  I felt like I was gonna faint and had to leave.  I felt really bad for a couple of hours after that.  My friend heaved a couple of times. It was pretty funny though because we were both struggling.  I don't know if it's because of my morning sickness or because I'm just becoming more wimpy over time.  Haha!  Well, here are some great photos!


(Above) Ryan dissected a female frog


(Above) Ryan's frog was female so he could see the eggs.


My husband Charles helping the boys since I couldn't get up close


(Above) Chaz's frog was male


Chaz listening to instructions


(Above) The teacher showing Ryan he needs to cut open a little higher


How cool is it that my boys only 10 and 11 years old got to dissect frogs and I wasn't able to till Junior high?  This is what I mean about the excitement of homeschooling.  We do things when we want to and have tons of our own field trips throughout the year.  Even better, daddy gets to be involved!  He has a split shift where he has a 4 hour break in between shifts so he is able to attend these things.  I have such a cool husband and life.  :D  


Charles helping Ryan.  Ryan said it was pretty neat opening the frogs mouth inside and looking to see if there was any food in there.


My friend's son Jeremiah putting on his gloves


Kyle (above) 



6 comments:

Unknown said...

*barf* TRULY a MAN'S project there. LOL! I am surprised that you even tried to go watch! LOL!!! :) It is definitely a learning experience for them though. Good job guys! :)

Karen said...

I remember doing that in high school! Also a worm...some people got to do a fetal pig...but thankfully our class ran out of time!

Bridget said...

Congradulations on baby #7 so exciting! Are you on facebook? If so would you friend me. I know we have a lot in common and I can't seem to keep up with my blog as much. Bridget Ryan on facebook. if not I'm trying to blog at least once a month.

Unknown said...

Bridget her facebook is Yes, They are all mine. I love her posts.

I think the frogs are amazing and wish I could take my 4 oldest kids.

Jenny S said...

LOL, yes, now I understand why you said what you said on FB! There is NO WAY I would be able to get anywhere near those things while pregnant! I could probably do it while I'm not, though. Tomorrow we're making model cells out of Jell-o. Should be a little less gross, lol!

Chris H said...

OK... that is something I would NOT DO... ikkkk. we have live frogs in this house!