Thursday, March 01, 2012

Solving Sunday School Dilemmas with Grace

Do you remember when I had a Sunday School dilemma and wasn't sure what to do about it?  Ivy does not read yet so they were going to move her from the first grade class back to the Kindergarten class.  Other than the always-angry anonymous lady I got some really good thoughts on it.  I had been keeping Ivy out of Sunday School because she was too embarrassed to go back to the younger class.  I didn't want to be one of those overprotective mamas that gets offended easy but I also didn't want to force Ivy into the class. Remember when I said I wanted to give them grace because the couple just took over the Sunday School program and were new to it?  After about 2 weeks of her sitting upstairs with the adults the leaders of Sunday School asked if they could talk to me.  I was so nervous thinking the worst that they were gonna be upset with me.  The husband and wife apologize to me and told me it was a wrong decision on their part and they should've gotten my input first.  They said that I was the parent and knows what's best for Ivy.  They felt really bad that Ivy didn't feel welcome into the class with her peers and they asked Ivy (who was standing next to me) if she wanted to go back.  Ivy was so happy and they led her back to the first grade class where her best friend also was.  They truly, truly felt bad that they had forced the issue and said they were so new to leading the program and hoped I would understand.  Of course!  That's a big ministry to take a hold of and I know is not easy.  I'm sooooo happy I handled it with grace rather than being angry towards them in my heart.  I did have that thought in the back of my head that they are new and maybe will change their mind.  I'm so grateful that is resolved and with grace.  :)

On a funny note, yesterday while getting ready in the bathroom, I looked up and saw this.....

I was wondering where our toilet paper roll went AND why the light was out.  Now I know why but the question of "who" is still unresolved.  Ohhhh, kids cause there to be so many mysteries.

3 comments:

Carisa F. said...

I taught 1st grade religious ed for a few years, and only about 20% of the class could even almost read. I'm glad the teachers of your Sunday School had a change of heart, but I just thought I should chime in about that.
Carisa

Carisa F. said...

Oh! By the way, I, too, am a homeschooling mom, and currently expecting baby #6 in July. That's 4 boys and 1 girl (soon to be 2!). My oldest (Nick 9.5 years old) also has autism. I've been reading your blog for awhile and I was amused with our similarities. :)
Carisa

Unknown said...

That is so nice that they realized they were in the wrong! Glad Ivy is now back where she loves to be! :) Oh, and the toilet picture is great...ha ha! Kids. :)