Monday, December 14, 2009

Chores Without Whining



My pastor says we're as lazy as we dare to be. I believe it. 

My kids on a daily basis tell me how hard their chores are.  It's actually really easy.  BUT.  They make their chores SO much harder because they make such big messes.  For example:  Ryan's chore is to clean the living room, make his bed, and make sure all kid shoes are in the basket.  Easy breezy.  They make such big messes so it makes their job harder.  Chaz's chore is to feed the dog, make his bed, and put clothes in dirty hamper.  Well, if they put their clothes in the hamper rather on the floor, that chore would be nonexistant.  Kyle's is cleaning kid's table, making sure there is toilet paper in the bathroom, cups are put away in sink (because they are plastic), and put toys away.  Ivy is just responsible for her room.  On and on.  I think those chores are really fair and easy for them to do but because they make such huge messes throughout the day, some of those chores become much larger.  That's when they get upset.  They think they are working too hard.  Well hey, I asked them if they want to trade chores with me cleaning the kitchen, cooking, dishes, laundry, mopping, teaching, making a zillion appointments, etc.  They were like "no thanks."  I think my kids have it good and they even get chore money after they finish their Saturday chores.  I think whining is a big no no so we made the rule that during chore time, there is no talking aloud and they are given 30 minutes and these chores are done twice a day.  Once at 10am and then at 5pm.  What do you guys do in your family?  I love ideas.

5 comments:

Rachael said...

I have 3 girls 11, 5, and 3 we have some basic chores that are every day that rotate and ones that stay the same.
Dishes
Laundry
living room
bathroom and hall way (these are 1)
each girl and myself get one each week ( i help the littlest with hers)
These stay the smae each week:
the 5 year old is the morning dog feeder and littlest is the evening doggy feeder and eldest cleans the kitty litter box those stay the same.
about 5:00 while i'm getting dinner ready the girls do what we call a 30 min clean up which means they have 30 min to quickly do thier chores before daddy gets home. If they finish before the others they go help them. Eldest then sets the table and after dinner the little ones clear the table. It works out fairly well and the house is picked up when daddy gets home.

Chris H said...

My two at home have to keep their rooms tidy, unload the dishwasher and sometimes vacum. It's only fair.

shannon said...

Hi there. After seeing your comment, I decided to hop over and I am glad I did. What a wonderful family you have!
As far as chores go, we just readjusted the system. Both big kids (6 and 4) are responsible for 'making their bed' (which is really just pulling the covers back and making sure the pillows are not on the floor; one feeds the dog in the morning, one feeds the dog at night; and right before bath time we give them 15 min to pick up anything they pulled out into the main living area.
That said, I think I like your system better-- having 2 times for chores and being really specific with them. I might have to change the system AGAIN.... I can already hear my little ones groaning ;)
Nice to meet you!!

Daddy Forever said...

My kids whine too and they have hardly any chores. We prefer to do everything because we've stupid that way.

Anonymous said...

=) That quote is so true! We don't have formal chores here yet, but I do get Daniel (6yr old) to help me out. He's been feeding the dog in the morning (with supervision) and I try to have him help clean up toys and things throughout the day. If he makes a huge mess somewhere he has to help clean it up. That is NOT to say I have all the answers...as a kid I probably complained the loudest about my chores. = / Sorry, Mom.