Sunday, October 04, 2009

Teaching Kids about God


Teaching Kids about God is a neat book I picked up at the library. I generally only like to buy my books because I love having a library. I'm a major book worm and I tend to reread my books several times over. I looked it up on Amazon and they have them real cheap which is why I gave you the link.


I would think it would be obvious about how to teach our kids about God. I checked the book out just to read it anyway. Some things that popped out to me though that I hadn't thought of. We can talk to our kids about God, but sometimes the best time to talk to them is through a situation. Make prayers with a little one simple. For example with a child learning to potty in the toilet. "Dear God, thank You for loving me. Help me go potty in the potty and sleep well." This prayer connects with them because it deals with their concerns and is short and simple enough for them to grasp. It changes with the ages of course through their situations. Also, we talk a lot about God's love but they learn about God's love THROUGH us rather than just what we say with our mouths about God. That really made me think. Anyway, just some thoughts I've been having about the subject.


To me, the most important thing I could ever, ever do in this life is care about souls. First of all, the little souls that are in my care. Also of course with people I meet. If all I do is raise my kids to be decent human beings who grow up to get a good job, get married, have kids, retire, and die... then what have I achieved? The bible says, "What does it profit a man to gain the whole world yet lose his own soul?" I don't homeschool my kids because I'm picky about a curriculum and how my sons learn their math. I do it because I saw how the school was training my kids in other ways that were NOT desirable. After Obama was elected president, can you believe the school called me because they wanted to know what I was teaching my kids about Obama? They heard my kids say that Obama was for babies being killed (in their mommy's tummy). The school questioned me about it and I said back to them, "Well, is that a lie?" Then the kids told their teacher that Obama is not a good president but they will pray he won't get hurt. The school asked me if we are telling our kids that we want Obama to get killed. Nooooo, we are not saying that. Good president or bad (in our view), we always pray for our presidents. Our kids remember when we prayed for Bush's safety and for God's blessing. I told them that my kids were just talking about how they don't want Obama to get hurt. Even though we don't agree with his views. Anyway, why are they questioning my little kids in an office and calling me at home? We always pray for our presidents. No, we never encourage weird thoughts of wanting people to get hurt. That is just plain WRONG. The bible says to pray for our enemies. So that's what we do. Even people in our lives that have hurt us. We always pray for them. Anyway, I said all that to say, I think it was creepy how the school seems to be getting more and more in the way of parent's personal training with their kids. Bringing in people (behind parent's back) to explain homosexuality or about sex. Why does a kindergartner need to know about sex? Why open up their minds to something at such a young age? So, that's why my kids are home with me. I know some people are lucky to have great schools where stuff like this doesn't happen. I have none around me at all and I did long searches. So, I made life so much tougher for myself but it's worth the sacrifice. After all, kids grow up WAY too fast!!! Sheesh. I love having them home with me. Even IF the house doesn't stay as clean.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You put it so well! My point exactly sister! Kids grow up too fast on their own, they don't need the public schools helping that along. Blessings to you and your gorgeous kids!--Bonnie