Monday, May 10, 2010

Question For Gardeners

My Roma tomatoes. I call them my "Tony Roma" tomatoes. :) I like how differently they look than the regular tomatoes I show below.


These are my Early Girls. This is where I have a question. I know with some plants it's important to thin out the vegetables or fruits some so the others can grow bigger. Is that true also with tomatoes? Can I just leave them be? I've grown tomatoes before but I've never had so many tomatoes per plant. I have 20 on this one alone.

4 comments:

Mom said...

I know that you should pluck the bottom leaves when your plants get about 3 feet tall. All of the leaves from the bottom foot are the ones likely to get fungus--so pull those off. Also--suckers--these are the buds that start to grow in the joints of two branches. They won't bud, so pinch them off. From what I remember about living in Texas--tomatoes grow better and faster in warmer climates. If you prune you risk the other fruit drying and cracking, especially if you do it right before a heavy rain. Tomatoes in warm climates also grow best when allowed to form thick folliage from above, like they do when grown in a cage. Just a thought. I'm not really much a gardner, but I do love my tomatoes!

Virginia Revoir said...

Wow, Bonnie! Thanks for that advice! I will definitly do what you said in your comment. :) I love tomatoes in my garden too. I've only been gardening for two years so there is much to learn.

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

OO, I have no advice but those are lovely!

Chris H said...

I do what Bonnie said... and I don't take any of the tomatoes themselves off.