Thursday, March 07, 2013

Bringing Home a Starving Horse

Oh my goodness, I've rescued a lot of animals but now I can add a horse to the list. I didn't really want to post about it just yet because being that I'm smack dab in the  city, I didn't want to draw attention to the fact I had a horse in my backyard.  You know, zoning issues.

Several times as I would drive by a neighbor's house i kept seeing this really skinny horse just tied to a trampoline. I never saw any food or water around.  I finally went over for a visit and greeted the 20 or so dogs that came up to see me.  I saw one particularly skinny black ones whose bones were really showing.  We got to talking about the horse and they said that since the property is not theirs they couldn't have the horse there.  I found out that their father had just came by and dropped off the horse and then two days later was booked into jail. He didn't want the horse and so he figured this family (who is quite poor)  could care for her. Hay is quite expensive these days.   Well,  they didn't know what to do. I told them I would immediately start looking around. Although I was sad for these animals,  they have always been good to my family and welcomed my kids over to play. They are a very poor family but it's obvious they are very happy together. I left with four dogs in my arms and a promise I would find a home for the horse.

No joke, a half hour after that conversation I got a firm knock on my door. I opened it and was surprised to see the gentleman next door standing with the Livestock Police.  The cop saw the condition of the horse and was ready to take the man to jail which in turn would cause the family to get evicted.  The cop told me that the man said I was gonna help him find a home.  He was wanting to know if the guy was lying.   I knew the man was in a jam.  His dad who had abandoned the family with 9 kids keeps dropping dogs off and now a horse. I told the Livestock Police I had someone in mind who could take the horse (meaning myself) and would work on it immediately.  I also told him I would buy food for the horse right away. Well,  as soon as the cop left I asked my neighbor to bring the horse over and I would immediately go purchase supplies needed. He gifted me the horse and I started giving her food and water right away.   I also had to treat some wounds. I was a tad nervous because of zoning issues but I wanted to see this horse make it and find a good home for her. In the meantime I have found homes for 3 out of the 4 dogs I also rescued.

After seeing her look much better with fluids I started looking for a home. Finally,  a family called me that lived out of town.  I asked them a lot of questions and was relieved they've had horses and the means to care for her.   They met me today and I saw Shiloh respond really well to them.   We named her Shiloh because it means peaceful and safe.   She is safe now and I can sleep well.  :)

First pic shows her new family coming to get her. Second was of her after she knocked the gate down to come on the patio to see us. The last picture shows what she looked like the day I got her... skinny.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Good for you - I do the same crazy stuff with a bunch of kids in tow...
Jenny
www.ourplansmultiplied.blogspot.com


Too bad I wasn't closer, I am at least zoned for horses although I've never had one!

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

God bless you, Virginia. I'm glad the Livestock Police are around, though. Only think what would have happened if you weren't there.