Monday, April 15, 2013

A Detailed Chore Chart for Large Families-Works for Us!

I've had some people ask if I would show what kinds of chores each kid does everyday.  So I figured I'd take a picture of the cards and post them here.  I really believe that each child should have a specific chore because if clear lines aren't drawn then the older could end up doing the bulk of the work. Then I'd see the younger trying to get away with a lot.  This way I can see who did their chore and who did not.  It starts every day in the To Do folder and as each chore is done they go down into the Finished folder.  :)



Starting with youngest to oldest.  Here is 3 year old Caleb's card.
 
 
Here are 5 year old Ashley's cards below:
 
 
7 year old Ivy's chore cards below:
 
 
9 year old Kyle's chore cards below:
 
 
11 year old Ryan's chore cards below:
 
 
12 year old Chaz's chore cards below:
 
 
If they don't finish their chores and homeschool by 3:30pm then they get to pick from the Extra Chore list to add to their regular chores:
 
 
Here is another list we have posted.  The two top ones are for me.  I have a schedule for clothes being washed.  They know to have the clothes they need washed in the hamper by their scheduled day or mama doesn't wash it.  The weekly chores is the extra chores I do on top of my regular daily chores.  The bottom is Saturday chores for all of us. :)
 
 
Hope this helps!
 
We have been following this system for five years and absolutely love it. Each kid is held accountable for their own area.  We pay for the chores they do to understand working.  They aren't paid a lot because I really feel these things should be done to be taught responsibility.  The other part of me wants for them to understand the reward of hard work and how someday they'll be working for money.  That's why we don't pay a lot but enough to help them see the reward.  They get paid biweekly like daddy does.  Some kids spend it right away and others save it for bigger things. :)
 


3 comments:

A Joyful Chaos said...

Great idea1 Thanks for sharing!

Blessings~

Crystal said...

Can you explain how the kids go through their chores, like do they do all but the bedtime chores before 3:30. I am trying to figure out a good time to do chores, I like mornings, but then the littles just go and mess everyones hard work up by noon. I liked your board and card idea.

Virginia Revoir said...

The bedtime chore is reserved for night time but they do their homeschooling starting at 10am and their chores between 1pm-2pm. Flexibly. It just depends on when they are done with their homeschool. Then they do a repeat before daddy gets home from work. ;)