Monday, October 29, 2007

Homemade Pumpkin Cheesecake pie

This is just so yummy. After we carved pumpkins the other night, I took the spare pumpkin and cute it up to make my own pumpkin pie. Well, when I looked at the recipe, I saw that right next to it there was another recipe that was a favorite called "pumpkin cheesecake pie". It's just a layer of cheesecake under the pumpkin. I opted for that one instead since I happen to have the ingredients. I loved cutting up the pumpkin and baking it to make my own from scratch. It made the house smell very nice. I learned the trick for not burning the ends that I sometimes see with homemade pies. This took a long time to prepare and make but that's just because I didn't cut up enough pumpkin the first time around. Actually, this recipe calls for you to put pecans and sprinkle a mixture of flour, brown sugar, and butter with it on top. Since I didn't have the pecans, I just left that off. Very yummy! It tasted much fresher than the canned pumpkin.

Pumpkin-Cream Cheese Pie 
adapted from 
The New Baking Book 
1 single pie crust
1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 slightly beaten egg
1 1/4 cups canned pumpkin
1 cup evaporated milk
2 beaten eggs
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup chopped pecans
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
4 tablespoons brown sugar

2 tablespoons cold butter 

Prepare and roll out pie crust. Line a 9-inch pie plate with the pastry. Trim and crimp edge as desired; set aside. 

In small mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, 1/4 cup sugar, the vanilla, and 1 beaten egg with electric mixer on low to medium speed until smooth. Chill in refrigerator for 30 minutes. Spoon into pastry-lined pie plate.

Preheat oven to 350F.

In a medium mixing bowl, combine pumpkin, evaporated milk, the 2 eggs, 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg. Carefully pour over cream-cheese mixture.

To prevent overbrowning, cover edge of the pie with foil. Bake in a 350F oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil. Bake for 25 minutes more.

Meanwhile, combine the flour, brown sugar and butter. Cut with a pastry cutter until crumbly. Stir in pecans. Sprinkle over the pie. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes more, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 1 to 2 hours. Refrigerate within 2 hours.

Post a Comment