Monday, October 29, 2007

Homemade Pumpkin Cheesecake pie



This is just so yummy. After we carved pumpkins the other night, I took the spare pumpkin and cute it up to make my own pumpkin pie. Well, when I looked at the recipe, I saw that right next to it there was another recipe that was a favorite called "pumpkin cheesecake pie". It's just a layer of cheesecake under the pumpkin. I opted for that one instead since I happen to have the ingredients. I loved cutting up the pumpkin and baking it to make my own from scratch. It made the house smell very nice. I learned the trick for not burning the ends that I sometimes see with homemade pies. This took a long time to prepare and make but that's just because I didn't cut up enough pumpkin the first time around. Actually, this recipe calls for you to put pecans and sprinkle a mixture of flour, brown sugar, and butter with it on top. Since I didn't have the pecans, I just left that off. Very yummy! It tasted much fresher than the canned pumpkin.

Pumpkin-Cream Cheese Pie 
adapted from 
The New Baking Book 
1 single pie crust
 
1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
 
1/4 cup sugar
 
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
 
1 slightly beaten egg
 
1 1/4 cups canned pumpkin
 
1 cup evaporated milk
 
2 beaten eggs
 
1/4 cup sugar
 
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
 
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
 
1/4 teaspoon salt
 
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
 
1 cup chopped pecans
 
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
 
4 tablespoons brown sugar

2 tablespoons cold butter 

Prepare and roll out pie crust. Line a 9-inch pie plate with the pastry. Trim and crimp edge as desired; set aside. 

In small mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, 1/4 cup sugar, the vanilla, and 1 beaten egg with electric mixer on low to medium speed until smooth. Chill in refrigerator for 30 minutes. Spoon into pastry-lined pie plate.
 

Preheat oven to 350F.
 

In a medium mixing bowl, combine pumpkin, evaporated milk, the 2 eggs, 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg. Carefully pour over cream-cheese mixture.
 

To prevent overbrowning, cover edge of the pie with foil. Bake in a 350F oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil. Bake for 25 minutes more.
 

Meanwhile, combine the flour, brown sugar and butter. Cut with a pastry cutter until crumbly. Stir in pecans. Sprinkle over the pie. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes more, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 1 to 2 hours. Refrigerate within 2 hours.




2 comments:

VaQueenBee said...

So what's the trick for not buring the ends? :o)

Teresa

Virginia Revoir said...

Teresa, your profile doesn't have a link to your blog so I'll answer here. The trick to not burning the edges is to cover ends with foil for the first 25 minutes of baking. Then remove foil for the remaining time. :o) I would just cut a piece of foil and then fold over and cut out a half circle. Then unfold and lay circle cutout over pie. Or whatever works!