Friday, January 25, 2013

Our Critical Calling as Mothers

Sometimes I question my abilities as a mom.  There are days I looked around me the mess on the floor or the laundry pile that's needs to be washed.  I ask myself what made me so crazy to put such a huge task on myself. Was it the tap water? 

Raising children isn't some light thing that can be thrown around. God gifted me these seven little souls. I don't know about you but to me the task of showing them to Christ is a big deal. Living my life as an example for Christ is an even greater deal. How can I teach them?  I have seen legalism and I've seen grace. I've seen both taken to extreme. I don't want my kids to grow up thinking that their Christianity is based on how many services they attended but to understand that it helps strengthen us. I don't want them to go door to door so they'll look forward to a pat on the back from someone who saw them do it. I want them to WANT to share because they love souls. 

There are days the kids teach me lessons and it shocks me to the core. Kids say what is on their heart.  Although I tell them to have tact, I still want them to know that what is important to them is also important to me. No matter how small it may seem, even if its about how zombies are just actors in movies or how busy ants are on the ground. 

Embarrassingly,  one of the things I didn't like doing years ago was reading to the kids at night. I was a busy, busy mama that had late night tasks to finish. One day I realized that someday they'll stop asking me to read to them. I may have read Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs an awful lot but now I have fun making all the different funny voices. Sometimes I'm so caught up in the acting that the book is over before I know it. Just like raising them will be.

Giving birth to a child doesn't make me a mother, a mother should never take this job lightly. How they think about love, courting, marriage, church, having children, friendships, how to handle rough times is taught from us. Man, I knew I wanted kids someday but no one told me what a fantastically humongous job it really was. Someone probably did but I was naive.  :)  I cannot do this great task on my own, I need God. Thank God He doesn't call only the mighty. I would've never been offered the job.

1 comment:

Zsuzsanna said...

Oooooooh! Juliet is SUCH a doll!!!!!