Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Chaz's Update


First off, if you haven't been following our experience with Chaz click here view all my entries with "aspergers" in it.
As I learning to how to work with Chaz and exactly what is going on in that mind of his, I see how fragile he truly is. Times when I thought he was just throwing a fit, I now see as an emotional breakdown. He doesn't know how to bring himself back once he's crossed that line. I know how to calm him down. His teacher doesn't do this very well, but then again, she teaches an "ADHD" class. She is not trained in this area. Although I have to say I love her and she is very good at what she does. My son has learned very well under her teaching. Next year I plan on putting Chaz in a class that is specifically designed for Asperger kids. Aspergers is a social disorder and most people that don't understand or know him, tend to think he's just a mean kid. Chaz definitely is on an emotional roller coaster. One moment he can be happy and the next he can be screaming and throwing chairs at kids. Not a fun thing to deal with. Of course he's better at home because he is comfortable with us. This is a social disorder. Unfortuntately, there are ignorant people that don't even believe in ADHD. Sadly I was one of those until I had Chaz. Then I read James Dobson's book. He said that the reason there is such a negative view on the subject is because people have seen kids who were overdiagnosed just because they were active boys with some energy. But there really is ADHD out there and until that person is helped, it can be a rocky road ahead of them. I am looking into all kinds of things. Studying different avenues of treatment. Not just thowing out ideas because I am ignorant of it. I simply am looking at ever clue I can find. I am trying medicine as well as looking into his diet. Meeting with doctors, allergist. All sorts. For now, his behavior is worsening at school and things are not getting any easier for his teacher. I found a lady who's son also is a high functioning Aspergers and I hope to get some answers from her soon!

*Asperger Syndrome*
Individuals with AS can exhibit a variety of characteristics and the disorder can range from mild to severe. Persons with AS show marked deficiencies in social skills, have difficulties with transitions or changes and prefer sameness. They often have obsessive routines and may be preoccupied with a particular subject of interest. They have a great deal of difficulty reading nonverbal cues (body language) and very often the individual with AS has difficulty determining proper body space. It's important to remember that the person with AS perceives the world very differently. Therefore, many behaviors that seem odd or unusual are due to those neurological differences and not the result of intentional rudeness or bad behavior, and most certainly not the result of "improper parenting".

No comments: