Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Back To Floor Scanning




Okay, so ever since my little Ashley started crawling, I am back to scanning the floors. I keep my eyes on the floor to see if there is any small objects or pennies. Things like that. I've had the horrible experience of having to get a nickel out of my little niece's mouth when she was already turning purple from not breathing for awhile. It was such a scary moment in my life, I felt like I was just gonna collapse to the floor from relief. By the time she came to me, she had already been choking for awhile. Soooo.... okay never mind. Let's not talk about that. I don't want to think about it. So, of course I have this fear that my little ones will do the same. I have five kids and none has ever had that experience (thank goodness) but I still keep on my toes about it. With Ashley getting faster and faster at her crawling, here we go again! Ha! Ivy doesn't help at times because she likes to carry around her "potty money", pennies she earns every time she potties in her little toilet. So I try to encourage her to put them in her little piggy bank. But being the little money lover that she tends to be, she likes to recount it all the time. Ha ha! I looooove how right now the kids have such a low allowance. In fact, yesterday I told the boys to go clean their room. If they finished before the 10 minute timer, they would each get 5 cents. Boy did they run in there and clean! Okay, so I know I won't get away with that when they are teens. "5 cents? 5 cents?! Riiiiiight mom...." Hee, hee. So I'm milkin it. Right now they only get $2.50 a week if they do all their chores. Why would I start them off at a high number? They have to be able to earn more and more as they get older. My friend has 6 kids and she started them off at $10 a week when they were 3 years old. So she pays out a lot of money EACH week. I think she was a tad envious when I told her my kids get excited over $2.50 a week. Ha ha.
P.S. Ummm... I just realized, now that I'm done writing this post, that my two year old has put blue tape all over my body. Where are they finding all this tape?

3 comments:

Pfingston said...

You've reminded me - I need to buy more blue tape.
Ok, so I like $2.50 a week - totally doable . . . Can you tell me at what age you start allowance and how you do it, plus the jobs you have them do for it? I'm trying to figure it out and . . . Your that step ahead of me so I thought I'd learn from your experience. Mine are 4, 2(almost 3) and 8 months

Virginia Revoir said...

You had your kids close together like I did! We both have an 8 month old baby too. :) I know what stage you are at right now. I remember! LOL!

Here is where I got my idea. Just copy and paste URL.

http://amazingsix.blogspot.com/2008/05/chore-charts-on-trial.html

But... it starts for ages 4 and up I believe. It's called Easy Child. I modified it GREATLY. I made it much, much simpler.

For example: My four year old's Chart-

*Brush teeth AM: 4cents
*Shoes in Bucket(make sure everyone's shoes are kept in bucket we keep by door: 8cents
*Extra Chores (anything he does above his own chores: 3 cents
*Get dressed on his own: 3 cents
*Pick up any kid books misplaced and neatly put away: 8 cents
*Brush teeth PM: 4 cents
*Take his own shower: 3 cents
*Not peeing in pullup by morning: 5 cents.

That's my four year olds. Really simple. When you go to Easy Child and see, it was much too complicated for me but you might like it. I start chore money at 4 years old. I went and bought them all piggy banks. My two year old, Ivy, gets a penny in her bank every time she goes potty in the toilet. That is big money to her! LOL! She also is almost 3 years old. Hope this helps! With five kids, I have to have my helpers because it can get overwhelming, all the work. I call them my "Hero Helpers" and they love it. Boys love anything with the word "Hero" in it. ha ha.

Amber said...

First off I have to say you have the most beautiful girls. Second, starting them low is a great idea. Kids love change anyway so a bunch of pennies and nickels is perfect for them. I should start this with my 4 and 5 year old.