Wednesday, December 04, 2013

A Very Stressful Holiday Season - Don't Forget the Reason for The Season.

This last Thanksgiving was nice because we saw family we hadn't seen for a long, long time.  I find it extremely hard to share holidays when you have both sides of the family within the same town.  It's a good problem to have though.  Some people only have family in different states.  That would be tough.  Usually I have Thanksgiving with my mom and dad at my house.  Then Christmas Eve with Charles' family, then Christmas day with my side of the family.  This year we are changing it up to get out of the routine.  Whenever I feel like things are expected of us, because it's been that way the last few years, it's time to change it.  :)  I like the holidays to be relaxing and not demanding.  Once the demands come it, it takes all the joy out of it.  I'm not sure if it's possible yet but we are thinking about just getting away ourselves out of town in a cabin somewhere or a hotel. Bring a small tree with us and just have an adventure together. Who knows?  Maybe we'll just have a quiet Christmas at home?  Oh, I love the NOT PLANNING of it all.  :D

Thanksgiving 2013 with my husband's family

I've never been really into traditions.  I mean, it's nice every now and then.  But adventure is in mine and Charles' blood.  One time we were having breakfast together and I said to Charles, "Hey, let's go to Disneyland today!"  We packed up a few items, picked up our kids from school, and drove hours and hours to get there.  We didn't know what hotel we were staying in,  Nothing.  It was our adventure for one whole week.  We spent 3 days on the beach and 2 days at Disneyland.  Oh my gosh, by far was it the best vacation we've ever had.  The planning of it might have made it stressful.  We just winged it and took the surprises and all.  I was newly pregnant with my 6th child (Caleb) and the weather there was perfect.  We're starting to itch for another adventure.

Ashley (6) and Juliet (4)
Maybe I'll feel different next year but this year I just long for a quiet Christmas with my family with no strings attached.  I want it sooooo simple and beautiful.  Just to really focus on the real meaning of Christmas rather than the hustle and bustle of materialism.  Jesus is the reason for the season.

No comments: