Thursday, February 17, 2011

What Causes GOOD Kids to Make BAD Grades?

360283_ABCMouse.com-Free Learning Activities-First Month Free-Click Here!I

 don't understand.

Ryan and Chaz waiting to play ball
When my kids started out in school, they were honor roll students. I had homeschooled the year prior and they were doing great.  In fact, they were ahead of their class when they went back in.  I don't always homeschool every year. This was my year to take a break, organize my home, spend some times with my two little babies and get ready for homeschooling next year.

I'm not trying to blast their school by any means. They are a good school.  I love the teachers.  This next part I had to come to terms with.

The guilt that comes with a child not passing in their classes.  I had to look at myself and see why.  Why that all these years my son(s) has been an honor roll student(s) and now is failing?  Someone said, "Well, are they playing too many games at home?"  My response is no way.

They come home at 4pm. Immediately work on their homework and snack till 5pm.  Sometimes they don't even have homework or they finish it on the bus ride home.  From 5-6pm they finally have some play time.  That could be playing outside, playing video games.  From 6-7pm is our dinner time and family time just talking around the dinner table. 7pm is chores.  Then another half hour of play. Then book reading time and then bedtime at 8:30pm.  Where in that schedule am I being irresponsible as a parent?  My boys play video games a total of whole hour a day.  If they have homework they are getting it done.  They are going to bed early and getting their rest.



Why is it that I feel guilty when the teacher sends home the report card and I have to sign it?  I mean, of course they want the parent to acknowledge the have seen their grades but there is still that guilty feeling.  I'm not the one that is teaching my boys for 7 hours a day.  When I had them at home, we used SOS which automatically grades their work and they were very successful. They did extremely well.  They only had to work at the MAX, 4 hours a day. Usually 3 hours.  I'm not trying to be rude but I had to put my foot down and say, "No, it's NOT because of me."  I'm doing my part to make sure his work at home is done (I'm not fond even of homework when they've already been working all day), making sure they get their nutrition, and to bed on time.

 What Does Cause Good Kids to Make Bad Grades?

Does it make me seem rude to think that maybe I should write a paper asking for the teachers explanation of the grades and have to sign it?  I know the budget was cut and many assistants were laid off.  That happens with Charter schools.  But could I have been given a notice of the rapidly falling grades before this?  I could have done something much sooner.

I looked into bullying.  No.  He says absolutely no bullying is going on.  Although, because of his failing grades he is getting taunted now.  This child I am speaking of is a very good kid.  I have noticed when I've walked into this classroom several times, the kids had no respect for their teacher and things got really out of control.  I have noticed a behavior change in my son when he comes home from school now.

(Note:  A year after writing this I thought I might add that these teachers were fired the same year after I pulled my kids out.  My son's teacher was fired as was my daughter's.  I guess I wasn't the only parent concerned... February 20, 2012)

Obama Proposes Longer School Day, Shorter Summer Vacation

It's interesting that when they homeschool they have much more respect towards us and other adults.  When they are in school, the daily battles I have bringing them back down from the attitudes can be discouraging.  It's like undoing the disrespect every day and then starting again the next day.  I HATE that my boys are gone from 7am-4pm.  Gosh..... time flies and their time is spent elsewhere.  I truly hate it.

So once again, my husband and I discussed the upcoming homeschool year. We decided which kids will be in  which program.  A couple of the kids will be in a Compass Learning program and the other two in Switched on Schoolhouse.  I've had great success in these programs and they don't overwhelm the kids like a really popular program used commonly around here.  I wish I didn't neat a program to homeschool but these tools have been beneficial for people like me that haven't gone to college to teach children academically.  That was an understatement. I'm extremely GRATEFUL for all the homeschooling tools being offered.  Because of it so many more parents are given the option to be able to homeschool that might otherwise feel overwhelmed or intimated by the idea of it.

Here is the hard part and the TRUTHFUL part.

I'm not supermommyClean's mother lives here.  I played hide and seek with my kids and talked to them at their bed till they fell asleep.  So what if sometimes my pile of laundry is growing faster than I can attack it?  If it's because I took my kids to the library one night and then church the next, well, my laundry can wait till Thursday.  I won't quit.  Maybe by the time my kids move out I'll have a system that works perfectly. But I want to know that I gave my best to my kids and didn't replace them with having to have things perfect around the house.

Success is not final
Failure is not fatal
It's the courage to continue
that counts

-Winston Churchill


Check out my other blog about "Homeschooling, Schooling at home, or Public School?"

7 comments:

Mom said...

Wow Rebekah's comment made me so angry with that teacher! Woo--I don't think I could be a public school parent. I just can't handle it at all when someone mistreats one of my kids or looks down on Ian because he is a bit different. You aren't doing anything wrong Virginia. And I hope that someday you are able to homeschool again, because I just think homeschooling rocks! It's not long left in the school year. Try not to worry too much. Just keep encouraging your kids. I reckon love, encouragement, and prayer are the best things we can do for our kids.

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

The teacher is likely overworked and sees Chaz as one of 26-odd kids in her class. How much time does she actually TEACH the math, and how much time is Chaz able to really work on it? Maybe she is playing too many games with the kids lol.

Or really, the more likely scenario is you have someone who doesn't get what large family living is about, and/or whose children are extremely focused on their homework. One of my sons used to come home with worksheets that SHOULD have taken ten minutes, tops. BUT he'd melt down and we'd have an hour and stinkin' half of screaming just about every time.

Finally I said to hell with the worksheets, I'm not doing 'em, oh well. There are some things that are more important than the grade. Like you said, the teacher has the kid for 8 hours and I'm thinking there is more than enough time in that day for everything to get done if they are budgeting their time right. By the time my children come home they are hungry, tired and DONE WITH SCHOOLWORK.

Sorry. They just are.

Virginia Revoir said...

Actually, I'm not talking about Chaz. It's my second son, Ryan. They all have been on honor roll but Ryan is such a surprise to me with his grades right now. Ryan is an extremely well behaved child. Yay, for me. My other ones are tougher).

My gosh, Rebekah. I can't believe that. That is horrible that you guys are being put through that. Thankfully, Chaz has a teacher that has done everything she can to learn about Aspergers and help him. It's amazing. Thank you for your encouragement, Rebekah.

Bonnie, I do like to homeschool also but I get scared. I wish I could just teach them on my own but I DEFINITELY have to use a curriculum to help them. I'm not a smartypants like Happy Elf Mom. She's amazing. :D I get worried about being overwhelmed sometimes because I have Chaz plus my other ones and it's hard to keep up on the house. I'm praying for superwoman skills.

Happy Elf Mom, you know, recently there was a story about parents taking a school to court about homework. They had very little time with their kid and got sick of it being spent on homework. I really, really don't understand why they can't just keep the work at school. I don't mind practicing spelling at home but all the other work is ridiculous. You made me think that I should just lay off on some of the homework. I was already having them do that the last few weeks but now that you say that, I'm not gonna worry about it.

Anonymous said...

I don't say this cruelly, but maybe you should consider it. It could be that when they were working 4 hours a day, they just weren't working on the same content as the public schools were. If it was the content of their homeschooling that was insufficient, then even if they were excelling at it, it could still leave them behind in the public school environment. It's also possible that the logistics of public school work are different enough that the routine itself is hard for them, though that seems like something that could be easily adapted to over time, unlike just being genuinely behind.

Like I said, I'm not trying to be mean at all, if they are behind it doesn't change the fact that I'm sure you did no less than your best - I just do think it's something worth considering.

Virginia Revoir said...

Anonymous,

I know you are not trying to be mean but just make a point.
I am very close with my kids school and teachers. I know exactly what goes on in their curriculum. In fact, it's sad to say that whenever I put them back in my kids are always at the top academically but at the end year, they fall back again. Whenever I've pulled them out it was because I had to catch them back up to speed again. I don't homeschool them on my own but use a curriculum to guide me and make sure everything is covered. I think it's just hard for teachers with large classrooms to make sure every kid is caught up. The schools were not teaching my kids how to read so I had to pull them out, teach them how to read, then put them back in. When I placed them back in school the next year, my kids were the best readers in their grades. By teachers admission.

Tereza said...

My opininon is that the social enviornment is hard for them to deal with and just cannot take it all in. Maybe some kids jsut dont do well in that setting.

Virginia Revoir said...

Note: A year after writing this I thought I might add that these teachers were fired the same year after I pulled my kids out. My son's teacher was fired as was my daughter's. I guess I wasn't the only parent concerned.